Mr. Burrus started consulting with cemetery operators regarding their perpetual care funds after eighteen months of research culminating in a three part research series published in International Cemetery and Funeral Management published in 2001. He has also participated in industry conferences on this topic and has performed detailed stochastic analyses of several large perpetual care funds.
I have spoken with regulators in nearly every US jurisdiction on the topic of perpetual care adequacy.
ICCFA Magazine (January, 2011)
ICCFA Magazine (Summer, 2010) (Speakers: Managing for Success)
Consumers Digest (March, 2010) (extensively quoted)
Village Voice (April, 2009) (extensively quoted)
I authored the acclaimed and widely referenced three part perpetual care series in International Cemetery and Funeral Management (February to April, 2001):
“The Expenses Will Never End, but Some Revenue Sources Will” (Part 2)
“Developing a Financial Plan for a Perpetual Care Fund” (Part 3)
Catholic Cemetery Conference (2016) an update to the 2012 presentation
Minnesota Cemetery Conference (2016)
Wisconsin Funeral Association (2014)
South Carolina Cemetery Association (2013)
Catholic Cemetery Conference (2012) — Interactive session with real world examples
Michigan Cemetery Conference (2012) – “Perpetual Care Adequacy”
Death Care Management Council Spring Meeting (2011) – “The Importance of Perpetual Care Adequacy Studies”
ICCFA Annual Convention and Exposition (2010) – “Your Perpetual Care Fund: How Much is Enough?”
North American Chevra Kadisha Conference (2009) – “Perpetual Care Funds – Parallels to Insurance Loss Reserves”
North American Chevra Kadisha Conference (2008) – “The Future is Yours – Understanding the Cost of Perpetual Care”
North American Cemetery Regulators Association Annual Meeting (2001) – “Ensuring the Adequacy of Cemetery Perpetual Care Funds”
President and Principal Actuary, HB Actuarial Services, Inc. 2001 to Present.
- 2001 – Founder of the firm (2001); manages all client relationships (2001 to present)
- Developed a rigorous actuarial and statistical methodology to the study of the long term adequacy of perpetual care funds; accepted first perpetual care fund analysis engagement (2001).
- Prepared expert deposition in litigation concerning the valuation of a perpetual care obligation (2008).
- Significant growth in perpetual care related speaking engagements and assignments (2008 to present).
Chief Actuary, AmCOMP Insurance Group, 2002 to 2007.
- Managed entire actuarial department (2002 to 2007).
- Created a computer based insurance pricing tool to assist field underwriters in accepting / pricing risks (2002 to 2004).
- Led preparation of insurance rate filings in all states (2002 to 2007).
Associate Actuary, Insurance Data Resources, 1997 to 2001.
- Led team to create computer based insurance rate making system for statewide workers’ compensation rates (1999).
- Led consulting team to provide a computer analysis of workers’ compensation retrospective rating calculations for hundreds of policies under multiple rating scenarios (1998).
Actuarial Associate, National Council on Compensation Insurance, 1993 to 1997.
- Actuarial team leader to create computer based insurance rate making system for statewide workers’ compensation rates (1996).
- Developed numerous analytic reports for the actuarial department (1993 to 1997).
Other employers include CIGNA Property and Casualty Company, and Insurance Services Office.
- President of Casualty Actuaries of the South East (2006).
- Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society (2001).
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (1997).
Bachelor’s Degree, Applied Mathematics; Minor in Economics – University of Rochester.
On the lighter side, ValuePenguin did a profile of Hayden Burrus (owner) as a model consulting actuary.